Beaver Valley Section, Part 1





  • I was dropped off by the BV BT club "Trail Angel" at the top of Blue Mountain, at the beginning of the Beaver Valley section at 8:30am

  • I started out on the trail feeling good, the sun felt hot right from the start. There are a few open areas that were significantly hotter than the canopied zones. I'd put my Tilley on each time I entered an open area and soaked it in every cold creek I came across.
  • The most difficult part of the day came at 8k when I hit sideroad 21 and didn't see any blazes. When I looked to the west I noticed a small white blaze on the back of a road sign... but then those soon stopped, and then I saw an other, but when I looked closer it was actually a work order sticker for the road crews who install the road signs... so where is the trail? I took out my map and got back on track. There was no turning blazes and no blaze on the entrance of the trail up the road. This error caused me to spend 2.5 km in the hot sun and really beat me up at a critical time (right before a 140m high climb). I can only assume the club has decided to make the trail somewhat hidden to deter MTBers... I guess. Nonsense in my opinion.

  • As I hit more open road and open fields I began to lower my pace from an average of 5:30 ks down to average of 8 min/km. Physically I couldn't spend any extra energy on these sections, just had to conserve as my first supply drop wasn't until the 43k mark.

  • I didn't realize it at the time but I had come in fifth on a segment within this section. I'm confident I could get the #1 spot here if I knew and hadn't made the route mistake earlier.
  • 35.6-39.8km sections were all in the full sun. This was the second most difficult section of the trail. Fairly flat, but extremely hot.
  • Once I hit the canopied sections I began to feel better and drank the remainder of my water, but felt good until my next supply drop (at 43k mark) where I had electrolytes waiting for me. I should've had a supply drop at 20ish k.
  • Just after Campbells Hill Rd I called "Top O The Rock" grocery store/ pizza baker and asked them to put in a meat lovers for me and I'll be there in 30 minutes. They did. I did. And it was delicious.


  •  Soon after I ate the first half of the pizza I came to the falls. Pretty big.


  • I continued to run for a few hours until I was on the "Falling water" side of the valley and decided to pitch my hammock.